To ensure we look after our environment Treetops @ Kirrawee have reduced their carbon footprint by:
– Having solar panels power Treetops @ Kirrawee.
– Using sensor lighting where appropriate to ensure lights and fans are only turned on when needed.
– Using natural sunlight from windows and skylights to light the rooms and when needed LED lights.
– Having group times and discussions where possible about sustainability
– Teaching children to recycle in the room, having colour coded bins for normal waste and recyclables.
– Growing a vegie garden and letting children understand the importance for plants, why and how to look after them.
– Employing worm farms (2x) for our kitchen and meal waste
– Having 2 silkie chickens that enjoy our leftovers from Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea.
– Utilising our open windows and turning off air conditioning during pleasant days.
– Using a water tank for all outside water usage.
– Participating in “Garden Group” with students over at Kirrawee Public School. We take our school leaving children to Kirrawee Public School every Wednesday for 30 minutes in the afternoon to help look after their herb and vegetable gardens and their native plant garden.
– Reusing a lot of products required at the centre (milk bottle lids, glove boxes) and using them for craft.